Self-Taught Art in the 21st Century
September 23, 2017 - January 7, 2018
Following the Foothills Folk Art Festival, join us for a party!
Saturday, October 7
4:30 PM, Musical Performance by David Thomas Roberts
5 - 7 PM, Reception in the Shuford Gallery
Guest Curators Robert & Margaret Allen, author of When the Spirit Speaks: Self-Taught Art of the South, present the work of 9 self-taught artists who make art in a contemporary style. The exhibition features work by:
- J.J. Cromer (Pound, Virginia)
- The Dapper Bruce Lafitte (New Orleans, Louisiana)
- Kari Eig (Oslo, Norway) HMA blog post about Eig.
- Ab the Flag Man (Sanford, Florida) HMA blog post about Ab.
- Bruce New (Montgomery, Kentucky)
- Ashley Pierce (Columbus, Ohio)
- David Thomas Roberts (Walnut Creek, California)
- Della Wells (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)
- LaVon Van Williams, Jr. (Lexington, Kentucky)
Pottery & two-dimensional works by Stacy Lambert are being presented in conjunction with this exhibition in HMA’s Local Artist Gallery.